Welcome to the Book Club discussion for A Hundred Summers, by Beatriz Williams. Below is a list of discussion questions to get the conversation started. We are excited to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. We’ve added our thoughts for each question as well. Feel free to answer all the questions, or pick and choose a few questions to discuss!
1. While Lily’s mother is mentioned and seen from afar many times throughout the story, she does not actually appear or speak until late in the novel. Why do you think Beatriz Williams chose to keep her in the background until Lily confronts her?
Throughout most of the book we didn’t know Lily’s mother’s involvement in anything. So it made sense that she remained in the background until her involvement came to light.
2. What did you think of Lily and Budgie’s friendship? Were they really friends? Have you ever had a similar dynamic with a friend?
They had a toxic friendship. I think they were really friends but only as much as Budgie was able to have a friend. Budgie didn’t understand real friendship.
3. Could you forgive Nick for marrying Budgie? What are your thoughts on Nick’s character overall?
I don’t think I could. I feel like he could have come to Lily a lot sooner than he did to try and explain the situation. Overall, I liked Nick a lot at the beginning but as it was revealed how he dealt with the situations unfolding throughout the book, I liked him less.
4. Why do you think Lily dated Graham? Did she really like him?
I think Lily dated Graham because she was tired of being bothered by everyone questioning her about why she’s not dating anyone. She knew him already, was attracted to him and he was there all the time so it made it easy. I think she convinced herself she really liked him over time.
5. At what point did you guess who Kiki’s real parents were?
When Lily’s mother and Nick’s father showed up at the apartment on New Year’s Eve I suspected the affair between them, as well as who Kiki’s parents were.
Share your comments below!